Friday, June 1, 2007

Mr. Darcy, Again!


A favorite memory of mine (thanks for reminding me Zackie)! If you want to talk about crushes, or a man that can make my stomach turn topsy turvy, and have a silly grin on my face, it would have to be Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. Those who are familiar with Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (P2) would definitely agree with me!

So, anyways I was first introduced to Darcy during one of my summer vacation back to KL, in the mid-90s. I remember Ntv7 just came on air, and they were showing this obscure BBC mini-series (big hit in the UK mind you!). I missed the first episode, but after accidentally catching the subsequent episodes, I was utterly, desperately in love with Mr. Darcy. It didn't help that Colin Firth was just brilliant as Darcy - the pining looks that he gave Lizzie...just made me wanna tear at him!

Back to that happy memory, it was the last summer after graduation, and me and my girls, sans ms.ketchup (who was shacked up with guy she's been wanting to dump for the longest time...HAHAHAHA!), subleted this gorgeous house in central campus - I think it was blue.

We had very interesting times with a couple of bottles of vodka left by the earlier tenants (surprise, surprise???) and Kamel (not the Camel you see here or the animal, but it was a sweet tasting/cinnamony type of ciggy), and of course Mr. Darcy. We rented the set from the local A2 library, and we all just swooned over Darcy, but also the love story between Darcy and Lizzie. I so respect Jane Austen, if you saw the series and read the book, you can get the sexual tension and desperation without any sexual content! You just completely rely on your imagination...how cool is that??

I digress, but what I am trying to get at is that I loved that summer for many reasons, and one them was that blue house with the girls. I can still remember it clearly, my room wic was near the kitchen, the huge basement room vi and bagel had, and of coz zackie and amai in the cozy room. L was also with us - we gave her the biggest room! Also, the swing in the back where we spent lazy, warm afternoons talking about our lives and never realizing this is where we were heading to.

I miss those times so much. Don't get me wrong, I love my life now, ok la not 100% of the time, but I am cool with where I am at. But I just miss how my life was so simple back them, with little expectations, but still hopeful. I really don't think any of us are any different from those girls in their early 20s, because I think when we all get together we realize we don't feel any different. But we have now just evolved into women in their early 30s contemplating their next stage in life, and with lotsa baggage. Some of us are married with kids, or just married and thinking may be kids, and some are going through/went through rough patches and just now trying to re-figure out our lives, and what's next for us.

So, last night as I was watching P2 again, those memories and feelings came rushing back. Me the clueless (somethings never change, kan?) girl, with that silly grin on her face, dreaming of Darcy. I love my happy thoughts, sigh...

3 comments:

IggySingh said...

Darcy was alright.. hence the reason I enjoyed the little nuances in BJ's diaries even more.. the swoony man replica in character but updated (plus the very same actor)..

But what does it for me is Tristan ;P bad boys anyday hon...
add some unbalanced behavior and hunting down enemies... and you got touch-down!

p.s. was that really the same blue house???! awesome NY!

My So-Called Life said...

what the picture? nah that's just Ann Arbor's skyline. I need to look back into my album to see if I have any picture of the house.

Ya...you and bad boys. You know there's a bigger underlying issue there, right?

:-P

IggySingh said...

yes, i think we're all going to need bigger boats with that one xxx haha!
here's to bad boooyssssssss.

the skyline had a blue building.. very clever.