Monday, February 5, 2007

Seriously!?


I just came off a weekend of doing a Grey's Anatomy marathon! I pretty much have been sleeping around 3AM since last Thursday...coz being a Mommy I can't start watching GA until past 10PM. Considering I had a lot to catch up...hence the late nights.


I always wondered why I go into these fanatical mode, where I get completely wrapped up in a TV show! You wonder right - how a show about a bunch of horny doctors can just take over your precious sleep-time (remember 2 babies...I have not know sleep pretty much for the last 5 years!). The last time I was this obsessed was with The X-files.


I guess it is just the escapism that these shows allows me to have. I have to say that I can so relate to the things that Meredith, et. al. talk about and how their lives just unravel through their interactions with the patients and each other. What I find completely amazing, not just with GA but other shows as well, are how the scriptwriters can just write something that fully involves the audience, and completely drag them into this fictional world, and yet it feels so real!


I think at one point in our lives we have lived our lives vicariously through others...and these TV shows gives us an "out" from our own lives, and for at least that hour we see our lives unravel through Christina's bitterness, Meredith's blunders, Izzy's annoying habit of over emotionalizing everything, and George being George. I guess it kind reminds us that we are not alone, and that somewhere out there some people actually do get us.

Well, it probably will be another sleepless night for me tonight...screw work!

7 comments:

KetchupMissy said...

i lurveeeeeeeee grey's anatomy too!!! and the soundtrack is the bomb :) you should watch ugly betty, that one oso best giler... very kelakar and less deep, but equally engaging.

can't wait to see you woman!!!

My So-Called Life said...

I saw a write-up about ugly betty but didn't get to read it. Starworld just started Heroes so we got that...don't you miss the ciplak DVDs? We went to Penang and you can get them for RM4 a pop. So my Season 1-3 of GA only costed me RM40!!

BTW - I missed the Amazing race...and I can't believe Zab and Jo-Jer won! It's so weird I don't know them, but thru you I kinda know them now...sooo cool they won!

Can't wait to see you soon too! Another 10 days or so kan? See you soon!

Unknown said...

Hey Ketchupmissy..you're going back to Mesia? Damn you!! I want to go back home too. It's so freaking cold here--kecut rasa my butt everytime jalan kat luar.

Nina, do they have The Wire ciplak DVDs? I got to get me some of those.

My So-Called Life said...

Hmmm...The Wire? I don't think so la. CSI, Desperate H, etc. semua ada. I know lotsa folks here are downloading these shows online either thru Divx or Torrents. So may be kat sini they are selling shows yg popular aje kot.

Btw-8TV is showing Ugly Betty...so managed to catch the pilot! I knew it was a remake of that Colombian TV show wic was shown on TV3 - Ya soy Betty La fea...or something like that! Now, I wished I had caught the original series...u know how US sucks at copying other shows...they should learn a thing or two from us Asians when it comes to ciplak-ing ;-)

KetchupMissy said...

nina,
no, no, no... no need to watch the original betty. yang u.s. version is a slam dumk, best giler!! even won the golden globes for best comedy kalahkan all the usual heavyweights (e.g. DH, entourage). tengok la, sure ko gelak sampai bengong :)

amy,
yes o yes, me goin back to msia, next week insyaallah. cant wait!! and i can just imagine the cold over in dc, sure beku otak you kan??!!

Unknown said...

Yes, Betty memang best! They show it on Fridays here. What a nice way to end my weekdays!

My So-Called Life said...

Ya...I did wac the pilot. Just so happen caught on 8TV after GA finished. I didn't realize 8TV brought it in. Memang kelakar...esp when she arrived in that poncho and walked into a glass door.

Salma Hayek is the producer! She's suc a cool chick so much better than J-Lo or any of the other latinas!

Can't wait when all of you come back here! See you next week Ms. Ketchup! I am gonna have my friend back...for awhile at least :-)