Thursday, January 25, 2007

Best Friends


My young son has two best friends, and as of last month, one girl who probably would like to think he is her boyfriend. It's so cute...she just loved to kiss him, and she has Angie Jolie's lips too! So very the cute to see the first crush :-D.
I guess this is one of the most wonderful things about being a parent - we get to relive all the “firsts” in our lives through our children. I guess as parents we hope that we can share our experience with our children so they won’t make the same mistakes we did…but at the same time you’d want them to experience their on life and make their own mistakes so that they can learn from them, and Insya-Allah become a better person for it.

I remember my first best friends – Rosmawati and Normalinda. I never went to kindergarten, and just went into Standard 1 (primary 1 as they call it now)…but my mom was my class teacher so easy la for me to transition, and you can guess who thought she was the boss in the class ;-P. I do remember that I was a brat in school – I always did well, and I was one of those overachiever kids where I had always to get the best grades, be the class monitor, etc. So, with these two girls Normalinda was sweet and gentle and would just follow what I say…so of course I adored her. Rosmawati was such a nice person, but she was my assistant monitor and smart as hell too, so may be for “self preservation ;-)” I had a love-hate relationship - mind you it was one way - with her as she was still oblivious (that's how innocent she was) to my conniving plans…and I must say you can already see the traces of my bitchiness at that early age. Poor girl, I am sure at times she didn’t know what hit her!

Through the years, I moved around a lot and had many “best friends” along the way…the ones that stick in my mind are Zurilawati, Ardena, Shanti, Juanita, Sharina…etc. But the one that will always be in my heart, and I will always regret losing touch with is Mizmun. She was such an influence in my life, and I think I was a real bitch for pushing her away and letting the friendship die. It was a weird time for me…and I shall continue to live with the “what ifs”, but I have to make peace with what I did. This mistake has made me appreciate all my relationships and friendships I have now…and I am always reminded by my dear husband that I don’t have many friends…wic is true, but I know these few friends that I have now will be with me through thick and thin, and I will work my damndest to not kill these relationships…Insya-Allah.
So..

..to Izz…enjoy your time Mohd. Rayyan and Ahmad Sharif, and all the many new relationships you will have! I can’t wait to see you have your first crush, first love, and other firsts, and I will be there for you when you have your first “losts” too. Although I hate to see my baby grow up, but I love seeing you grow up into this little person, and Insya-Allah I hope I haven't really screwed you up too much!

Especially to DH, Ketchupmissy, Amai, SAK, Chocfudge, and the few others that I consider close to me…I LOVE you guys, and you have been such wonderful additions in my life.

To Miz…Happy Birthday and I hope you will have a wonderful year and life ahead. I’ll ways remember you, and miss our friendship.
...and to new friends and relationships I am making as I continue down this road...I am really looking forward to connecting with you...

Here’s to best friends…

2 comments:

KetchupMissy said...

alaaaa... i love you too :) being so far away from you and my other closest friends makes me appreciate you guys more and more and more. if i have to choose between ketchup and my best bitches, i'd choose the latter. that's how much i value our very 'adult' friendship :)

Unknown said...

Hello...that's really sweet of you. Here's a quote from Khalil Gibran on friendship..

"In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed."

Here's a toast for more laughters and pleasures ahead!